Thursday, August 22, 2013

Mark Bittman's Poached Salmon

I am going to assume writing about cooking is a safe bet.  And I am also going to assume any unscrupulous types out there have no interest in a menopausal housewife, so what kind of  trouble could I possibly get into?

For the record, however, I want it to be noted I cook often, five nights a week, and I used to try out new recipes on a regular basis.  But, one day, when Husband was asked about my cooking skills he said, "She's a good cook, she just never repeats anything."  And that was probably true, my enthusiasm getting the best of me.  But, the pendulum has swung in the other direction of "same old, same old," and this recipe was the jump start I needed.  

The Tarragon Mayonnaise Poached Salmon was moist and tender, with undertones of grapefruit and pineapple from the South Australia Chardonnay I had on hand, Yalumba.  I cooked the fish in the morning, refrigerated it as instructed and it was a lovely dinner for a hot August night. If you are interested, Google Mark Bittman, Return of the King, Wild Pacific Salmon... in the New York Times Magazine, August 11, 2013.  You will find two glorious pages of uncomplicated recipes to choose from; raw, poached, grilled and burgers.

Mr. Bittman, I thank you.


Salmon in poaching liquid of white wine, water, salt and lemons!

Tarragon Mayonnaise

Dinner is served!

1 comment:

Marianne Mueller said...

Thanks for giving the reference to his article! Refreshing that people give credit and as I love reading Mark Bittman's pieces I was doubly gratified. Good on ya as they say. p.s. my salmon dinner was delicious but it sure took a lot longer than Bittman's 12 minutes at 275 to cook the piece of fish, maybe 1 1/2" at thickest point. Maybe I should see if my oven temperature is accurate ...