Sunday, November 19, 2017

Grateful

Inhale, exhale, run. I was pulling my girlfriend by the arm. We were standing by a rack of shoes
at Saks when a sales associate, carrying garments on a hanger sped towards us yelling, “Active shooter in the mall.” I had always hoped my hyper due diligence would prevent any catastrophes.

I didn’t even stop to think while other customers stood frozen. I could see the doors to the parking lot from where we stood, the light streaming in from a beautiful blue sky. It was one of those perfect Florida days when you think to yourself, this is paradise. But at that very moment horrifying news clips played over in my head.

“Come on, follow me.” I insisted. “But why isn’t anyone else leaving?” my friend blurted. “I don’t know. But we are getting out of here.” If I could have picked her up and carried her out I would have. “I am trying to save your life. You have to move faster.” When we stepped out into the sunshine police cars, an ambulance and fire engines were scattered throughout the parking lot.

My friend looked at me, a bit bewildered, “Is it even safe for us to be out here?” Just then other shoppers who climbed over hedges came up to us. “Do you know what’s going on?” I asked. “We heard there was a shooter in the mall. But a police officer said it was safe for us to leave.”

“But where is everybody else?” We all wondered aloud. And with that we turned to find the gates to the store closed. “They must be on lockdown,” someone said.

I turned to my friend. “We’ll walk to my car and I’ll drive you to yours.”

Turns out the shooting took place outside the mall. There never was a shooter in the mall. The men involved, amazingly unharmed, were quickly apprehended.

I did not fall apart. I was calm and dare I say, brave. There are some things you can never anticipate, as much as I try. Mostly I feel a tremendous sense of gratitude. No one was hurt and everyone is safe.

No comments: