Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Weekly Update

Blogging

I was thinking, as long as I've posted my picture, I may as well publish excerpts from my book on my blog.  But, with a plagiarist on the loose that's not going to happen.

And then there's the whole photo situation...no more pics on my blog for the time being of children. Sorry CG and Maggie Mae.  

In the Kitchen

Dinners have become a bit predictable around here and although Husband enjoys consistency, I have decided to try out one new recipe a week.  I will begin today with Poached Salmon with Tarragon Mayonnaise, from Mark Bittman's column in the New York Time's Magazine.  Will let you know how it turns out.

I Have a Double

I stopped in a specialty market yesterday, the kind you find in a resort town. Every aisle is meticulously merchandised, eliciting "oohs" and "ahhhs" as you pass freshly cut up melons, arranged like works of art and glass front cases filled with all sorts of beautifully prepared dishes, from Dover Sole to vegetable lasagna.

They have wonderful fresh fish, and I knew they would have the wild salmon for my new dish.  As I put my items on the counter to check out, the cashier literally screamed, "I know you!" I assure you I have never seen her in my life. "Hi!" I replied quietly, a bit startled.  She gave a running commentary of my purchases as I stood smiling, hoping for a spark of recognition.  Is it possible I forgot meeting her during one of my menopausal fogs?  No, I thought to myself, she thinks I'm someone else.

"What's your name?"  She asked in her brashly New York, Streisand sounding accent.  "Mora."  I said reluctantly.  She laughed, "Well, that will be easy for me to remember!"  And she proceeded in a sing song voice, "I'll have some Mor-a this and some Mor-a that!" as the line behind me grew longer and longer. 

And I don't know what came over me, but in the heat of this awkwardly odd situation, I blurted out, "You sound just like Barbra Streisand!"  And without a beat she said, "I know. And I sing like her too.  I'll sing for you sometime when we go out for drinks." Oy.









No comments: